Thursday, August 16, 2012

Finally Primer Red!

A couple of week's ago I finally joined the band wagon & tried Primer Red. I had to see for myself what all the hoopla was about. I have been a little skeptical about red because in my experience it's a hard sell.  I have attempted red in the past, I did a "Swiss" dresser, here, after trying to sell it in three different places I ended up keeping it for our game room (not that it's a bad thing). I'm just saying not everyone likes red. Here's a sneak peek at my two Primer Red projects:



The first picture is of the mirror that goes to an awesome Empire style dresser. I can't believe it, I do not have a before picture of this project. I am so mad at myself, I have had this piece in my garage for almost a year now. On to the after pictures:


Anyway, I like this red much better then the Swiss red.



After two coats of Primer Red, sanding/distressing I was ready for graphics. I found just what I needed from The Graphics FairyI added a cute little stencil, gave it two coats of clear wax, & some new knobs from Hobby Lobby.


I'm not sure if you can tell, but I used the stencil in an all over pattern on the mirror. They look really cool when they are close together.

Now onto the second project: Here is the before.



This little cabinet needed some TLC. The doors were impossible to open & it was missing a back which made it very rickety. After an afternoon of sanding, greasing & attaching a back, this little cabinet was ready for paint. We decided to stain the top, not really my territory, but I was willing to give it a try. We just sanded the top instead of stripping it, so when it was stained we got a lot of different color tones in the wood.


I kind of liked it! It gave it a rustic look. I added a graphic, painted the body with two coats of paint, a coat of clear & a coat of dark waxes. I love how rich the color turns when you add the dark wax.


Sold

This is such a nice sized little cabinet, perfect for an entry room or bathroom, even an end table. My husband kept calling it the "Mini bar for the man cave."
I like Primer Red & will be using it again in the future I'm sure. Have you tried a new color lately?

If you are interested in either of these pieces,they are both available at Sassy Fabrics (V Trading) in Grand Blanc , MI. If you live in my area & you have an old piece of furniture that you would like to have painted, just shoot me an email & I'll get back to you. Thanks for visiting & have a great day! Dee






4 comments:

  1. Came over from Rustic Restoration. I love to use red on pieces, but you are right - sometimes they just sit without a customer. Let me be dumb for a moment. Is primer red really a primer or just the name of the color? My favorite is the last piece with the stained top in contrast with the red body.

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great! It looks almost burgundy from the pics. Is that what it looks like in person? I think they will sell. Thank you for linking this up to Rustic Restorations Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that little cabinet is my favorite! love the legs on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think both pieces look great! And I love playing with new colors!

    ReplyDelete